Thursday, June 28, 2012

The first New Forest



After I had started collecting shaving brushes I thought I'd get one made to my specification, little thinking what it might lead to. I bought a knot from The Golden Nib and contacted a turner on a shaving forum and he agreed to make the handle and complete the brush. This is it. At the time we christened it the Fido LE. I later added the logo when having a batch of New Forest brushes pad printed.

This brush had these dimensions:

Height 104mm, loft 55mm, knot 24mm with extra hair.

The brush delivers great results. But I wouldn't have used an extra hair knot if I had realised how firm the backbone would be.

Some time after I had this brush made and had completed the research for my Fido's Shaving Brush Blog I decided it would be fun to establish a new brand of brushes. The New Forest 2201 was launched in 2010 and sold out within a few weeks. I operate the same principle used for my first brush. I decide the type of knot and how many I want, and  my handles are made by a craftsman in a small workshop just outside my New Forest village.

As the saying goes; "Mighty oaks from little acorns grow"

New Forest Brushes will never be one of the big boys. But it ticks along nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment